We all have situations that bring up a level of anxiety and discomfort, but when this fear becomes so intolerable that it is debilitating and blocks you from doing what matters to you then it is a phobia. If you have a specific phobia you might consider seeking treatment to overcome your fear. Exposure and response prevention is an effective and rapid approach that can help you face your fear so that it is no longer a barrier that stops you from taking steps towards the life you want.
A specific phobia refers to an extreme fear of a particular object or situation, even when it is out of proportion with reality. Examples of specific phobias include fear of flying, certain animals, heights, tunnels, bridges, blood, or medical procedures. Individuals who have a phobia may recognize that their fear is irrational, but still experience an intense level of anxiety and distress when in the presence of the thing they fear. This leads them to actively avoid the feared object or situation, which continues to exacerbate and maintain their fear. The anxiety, dread, and anticipation of the feared stimuli interfere with the individual’s quality of life and daily functioning. There are many kinds of phobias, click here to view you a list of specific phobias.
What are the signs?
- A particular object or situation triggers high levels of fear and distress. (i.e. dogs, blood, flying )
- Your attempts to eliminate this fear have not worked in decreasing your anxiety.
- You make conscious efforts to avoid a particular object or situation (i.e. dogs, blood, flying )
- Avoiding this object or situation has come at a significant cost
- Exposure to this feared object or situation brings up fear of losing control, going crazy, or death.
- Symptoms of panic when faced with the object or situation including increased heart rate, sweating, difficulty breathing, tightness in your chest, headache and or dizziness.
We can help you:
- Overcome your phobia
- Live your values
- Improve your relationships
- Effectively mange anxiety and stress
- Schemas and Relationships
- Welcome Anxiety
- Values Are The Journey
- Interpersonal Schemas
- Podcast Interview with Dr. Lev
- Ride the Waves with Urge Surfing
- Adults Need Time-Outs Too
- Schemas and Self-Distortions
- Overcoming Schema-Driven Relationship Problems
- The Costs of Social Media Overuse and How to Practice Moderation
- Mindfulness, Acceptance, and Self-Compassion
Offices45 Franklin Street
San Francisco , CA 94102 4283 Piedmont Avenue